Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This speaks volumes.

Reblogged from: desiringgod.org -

 What is my identity?

That's a good question.

Having entered into pastoral ministry myself, I definitely feel that Mr. Paul Tripp's discussion hits the nail on the head.

Obviously, it is a case of pride in my heart that allows me to feel as if I must, like Tripp, be an expert on everything (that has to do with spiritual matters, the Bible and the Church). There seems to linger a personal vindication in one's heart when the average church member recognizes that there is something valuable the church leader brings, but does that something really stand above the experiences of others in God's body
have had of God's working salvation?

My identity is in Christ alone and I have been deliberate lately in placing myself under this realization. So, I have been telling God that I want Him to take the reins. I want Him to lead me in the direction I should go. Having only been in formal ministry for (hold on...) 6 months, and taking note of my own pride to stand out as a "learned Bible scholar with a college degree" and the expertise that is attached, I recognize that this will be a recurring challenge I must face. But if I want to give glory to God (and not myself) I must recognize my true identity

But if I'm honest, then I will continue to confess that I am a broken saint. I am a screw up. I need the Lord Jesus Christ in my life everyday. I desperately need what I profess others need, I mustn't forget. However, as broken as I am, I am still a saint. This not on my own credit, but because God has chosen to call me loved and holy, and through His son has made it possible.

Take a look at the link. It's true about me too. This speaks volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment