Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I AM the worst ever...and I AM saved.

The Apostle Paul wrote to his apprentice Timothy, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst" (1Ti. 1:15). Paul reminded the young church leader of this apparent early teaching just after recollecting with him the life he lived before being encountered by Christ Jesus. The change that Christ made in his life was an imperative piece to Paul's missionary journeys and his letters throughout the New Testament.

The teaching Paul shared with his young apprentice is something I think often grows dim in my own life, yet as he put it, it is a "saying that deserves full acceptance" (emphasis added). That's something isn't it? Fully accepted by whom? Paul? Afterward, he would by today's standard by considered an accomplace to the murder of Stephen (Acts 7:54-58), not only that he had a vengeful and depraved zeal to do away with the earlier followers of Christ before his own conversion on the road to Damascus (Acts 9:1-19). So, obviously on his part he was right to fully accept this saying for himself. But he applied the teaching to Timothy as well to consider it to full acceptance.

In the general sense, this one-liner applies to all who consider themselves Christians but we so often claim this "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" and then cut off the rest, at least in the "scripture" of our hearts. So we justify ourselves in our evangelistic efforts by telling ourselves that we are doing the work of God by bringing his message to sinners. And quite often we feel we have the right to define or interpret the word "sinners" on our own esteem. By doing so, we (at least I) wind up separating ourselves from that category altogether. But then there's the end of the one-liner, "of whom I am the worst" (extreme emphasis added here). And this is the teaching we are told to regard to full acceptance. Almost sounds depressing.

Sheesh, one can feel very low about themselves when considering this time and again, right? Exactly, but we need to feel low about ourselves in the right way.

Obviously we are not to make a habit of self-defamation, we are just to realize who we are without Christ. We are sinners. Compared to anyone else I am still a sinner, no matter how much Bible I know, no matter how many church functions I am a part of, no matter how righteous I act, no matter how unrighteous the other guy is or seems to be. The moment I think higher than anyone else I am already the biggest sinner in the room (Lev. 19:17-18).

So, I AM the worst sinner around. You read it that right.

Since I acknowledge this, I can now love all those around me, because they're all better than me, no matter what they do that looks worse than the things that I do. I am still worse than they are. I'm glad to know it. This is the perspective I must take, because it keeps me humble. God looks for humble people.

What would the church today look like if we fully accepted the saying Paul shared with Timothy? What would our world look like?

God works through the worst of people, just like if I allow Him He works through me. You know, there's more to what Paul wrote to Timothy,
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life (1Ti. 1:15-16 NIV).
 
Christ came to save sinners, of whom I am the worst. I may be pretty rotten, but Christ had in mind to save me. What an amazing God I have. What an amazing grace the world has as an offering to fully accept.

How I could imagine what my conversion would be like had I realized that by my receiving God's grace, my identity as sinner receiving forgiveness could bring others to know the same grace that has been given me, despite my crimes against God.

Let's wear the cloak of humility. Let's call ourselves what we are: sinners who have received grace. Isn't that what the world is looking for?

I AM teh worst ever...and I AM saved. Let the testimony ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment